Thursday, April 10, 2008

No barriers

Last year Bryan's best friend at school was a shy, quiet boy who was only here for one year, from Tokyo. Bryan and Kei (Keiichiro) got along famously, and though there was a bit of a language barrier, Kei was a fast learner and it was apparent that sometimes all you need is some other 4th grade boys, and a ball, and everyone becomes Teammates, rather than American or Japanese...no matter what the sport-of-the-day was.

It had been a long time since Bryan had contacted Kei, so last night he sent him an e-mail. Bryan wasn't sure how hard it is to retain a language - especially after not having to rely on it for nearly a year - but it's worth a shot, because, well, it's his buddy Kei, and he wants to stay in touch with him for a long time.

This is Bryan's e-mail: Too cute, huh?? The response is even more precious. Makes me envious of being able to communicate this way with an old friend on the other side of the world...maybe one I kept from 4th grade on or something?
Hi Kei,
I wanted to say Hi from America! It's Bryan, from 4th grade in Mrs Mangan's class. I think about e-mailing you but never think of it when I am at the computer. This time I did!

How are you? How is it in Japan right now?

We are starting to get warmer weather and starting to play baseball now.I was thinking of you especially when Daisuke Matsuzaka and the Red Sox played in Tokyo. Did you see the game on tv?Write back sometime. I would like to keep in touch with you. You are a good friend that I will always remember.

From,Bryan
------------------
Hi Bryan,
Thank you for your e-mail. I am very glad that I have a friend in America.
I often talk about you to my classmates in Japan.

Recently, it rains every day, so we can't play baseball or soccer at school.
On March 25th, we went the Tokyo Dome to see the opening game of the Red Sox.
I saw Daisuke Matsuzaka very closely, and I shouted out "Sweet Caroline." Didn't you find me on the TV?

I am missing you very much. Please send me email. ;-)
From Kei
---------------
How cool is that? What a clever invention, the internet...we sure do have some cool sh!t that other generations didn't. Very cool.
I also think it's cool that my kids don't think to tell me if a new friend they met at achool is not American, white, english speaking, or whatever...no more than they would come home and say someone has short hair or long, is blonde, tall or a red head. They just don't care, and over time, we will force them to recognize it - sometimes out of necessity, but for now, a friend is just a friend. A good experience to have been able to live, and for all Needham's squeaky clean faux exterior, that IS one of the great, legit assets & elements.

No comments: